Participants

AERI 2015 has over 120 scholars presenting papers, posters, or workshops on various aspects of archival studies. Presenters are organized in alphabetical order, by last name. The bios of Emerging Archival Scholars Program (EASP) recipients are available here.
Amelia Acker

Amelia Acker is an assistant professor of Library and Information Science in the School of Information Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh where she holds faculty affiliations in the Telecommunications and Networking program and the Graduate Program for Cultural Studies. Amelia is the program director for the Archives and Information Science specialization at SIS. She teaches courses that cover topics in archival science, digital preservation, science and technology studies, and mobile information and communication technologies. In her research, Amelia examines the material production and transmission of records created with mobile phones and their archival consequences. Her research is concerned with the emergence and standardization of new information objects in networked record keeping systems. Currently, she has been investigating mobile banking receipts, messaging apps, temporary social media and self-destructing mobile media and their impact on communication in society.

Karen Anderson

Karen Anderson, PhD, is the Foundation Professor of Archives and Information Science at Mid Sweden University. She is the Director of the InterPARES Trust European Team and a member of the research team in the Centre for Digital Information Management (CEDIF) at Mid Sweden University. Her research interests include implementation of trustworthy, standards-based digital recordkeeping systems; benchmarking information management practice and development of professional standards for sustainable long-term management of records. A particular interest is fostering a scholarly approach to professional education for archivists and records managers and research into and development of collaborative international archival education.

She is an Editor-in-Chief for Archival Science and is currently a member of the National Archives of Sweden’s Advisory Council. She has been a member of the Swedish Standards Institute’s Technical Committee for Records Management Standards from 2008. She was President of the ICA SAE 2004-2008 and Vice President in 2004-2012 and has served the Swedish Archives Association as a committee member 2011-2014 and Vice Chair 2013-2014. In 2006 she was made a Fellow of the Australian Society of Archivists.

Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson is the Digital Archivist at Iowa State University. She was formerly Assistant Professor of Archives and Director of the Archives Program in the School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She received her Ph.D. from UCLA, where her dissertation examined how university archivists learn to appraise through social interaction. She received her MLIS with a specialization in archives from UCLA in 2007. She received a BA in Humanities with a minor in Anthropology from Northern Arizona University. Prior to her position at Iowa State, Anderson has worked in university archives, special collections, a rare books library, law libraries, and police records. Anderson is past chair of the Appraisal and Acquisitions section of the Society of American Archivists and formerly served on the SAA Committee on Education.

In addition to archivists and appraisal, her research interests include archival education and the sociocultural aspects of records and record keeping. She is an adherent of reflective practice and finds that intellectual curiosity, insight, and the seeds of both theoretical and applied research emerge from observation and the doing of recordkeeping and archival work.

Jeannette Bastian

Jeannette A. Bastian is Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College where she is also the Director of their Archives Management concentration. Formerly Territorial Librarian of the United States Virgin Islands from1987 to 1998, she received her Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1999.   She is widely published in the archival literature and her books include West Indian Literature, A Critical Index, 1930-1975 (1982), Owning Memory, How a Caribbean Community Lost Its Archives and Found Its History (2003), Archival Internships (2008), and Community Archives, The Shaping of Memory (2009).

Belinda Battley

I am a doctoral candidate in the Faculty of IT at Monash University. My research interests lie in the areas of archival description and in working with communities to help them connect with the records they need to maintain their collective memories.   My current research looks at how a community with distributed archives can take control of its records of collective memory. My aims are to explore a participatory paradigm for archival description, investigating the descriptive needs of a community with distributed archives in multiple formats, and the capacity of the Australian Series System to address community needs.

I have an MIS from Victoria University of Wellington (NZ), and a BA in Biological Anthropology from Auckland University. I am also employed as a Senior Archivist at the Auckland office of Archives New Zealand.

Snowden Becker

I received a BFA in Printmaking from the Maryland Institute, College of Art in 1996, an MLIS from UCLA in 2001, and am now completing the doctorate I began at the University of Texas at Austin in 2006. My dissertation in progress explores the archival nature of evidence management in law enforcement, and the people, practices, and processes involved in these agencies’ creation and long-term retention of evidence in a wide variety of formats, including video and digital media.

My research interests more broadly are concerned with how audiovisual materials, especially amateur recordings, are integrated into our cultural heritage. I strongly believe that a 21st century archival education should prepare new members of the field to manage a historical record in which mechanical, electronic, digital and audiovisual components have become ubiquitous. As Program Manager for UCLA’s Moving Image Archive Studies MA degree, I now engage daily with the challenges of keeping a highly specialized curriculum rigorous, relevant, and rewarding for its students–as well as the need to demonstrate the value of archival studies to a broad range of stakeholders both on and off our campus.

Edward Benoit III

Edward Benoit, III is an Assistant Professor and coordinator of the Archival Studies program in the School of Library and Information Science at Louisiana State University. He has a Ph.D. in Information Studies from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2014) as well as a MLIS and MA in History (2009). His research focuses on participatory and community archives, archival access, digital collections, and nontraditional archival materials. His dissertation analyzed social tags generated by domain experts and novices in a minimally processed digital archive. Currently, his research continues focusing on social tagging, commenting, and crowdsourcing in the archives. He is developing a project examining personal archiving habits of the 21st century soldier in an effort to develop new digital capture and preservation technologies to support their needs. As an educator, he integrates emerging technology into online courses blending practical applications and theory built upon constructivist and apprenticeship learning styles. In addition to archival courses, he also teaches a required core course on Information and Society.

Luke Bohanon

I am concurrently working on both my Ph.D. in Information Studies and my M.L.I.S. at UCLA. I graduated with a B.A. in English in 2003 and an M.A. in history in 2012, both from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS). My graduate work at UCCS allowed me to channel a number of diverse academic interests into original research that explored the networks and intersections of image and identity, performance and reception, and visual representations. In 2009, as I started my master’s degree, I took a position with the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum (CSPM), a repository for the history of the Pikes Peak Region. During the five years I spent with the CSPM I worked as an assistant archivist and a collections specialist. That experience, coupled with my academic background, kindled an interest not only in the archival field but also in public history and the connections among people, documents, ideas, and events. I am interested in how technology, including digital archives and social media, influence our worldview, specifically our understanding of modern genocides and mass violence; as my studies at UCLA progress, however, I find myself becoming increasingly interested in the role of affect in mainstream archives, particularly as it relates to archivists and their collections and collecting practices. It is this growing interest that has guided my work for this year’s AERI conference.

Sarah Buchanan

Sarah is a doctoral student in Information Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. Her research interests in archival studies include arrangement and description of special collections, with a focus on archaeological archives and digital classics. In teaching, she strives to promote a participatory environment that integrates students’ community engagement. Additionally she is active in the Society of American Archivists and helped launch the Bruin Archives Project (BAP) in 2008 as co-president of the SAA Student Chapter at UCLA. She received an M.L.I.S. from the University of California, Los Angeles and a B.A. with Distinction in Classical Studies from the University of Pennsylvania.

Matt Burton

I am a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh. I have an interdisciplinary degree in Bioinformatics from Wesleyan University and a PhD from the University of Michigan. After Wesleyan I worked as an information security researcher for the MITRE corporation where I developed open XML standards for the information security community. My past research includes studies of scientific collaboration and the production of long-term data in ecological science. Currently, I study the digital humanities and new modalities of scholarly communication. Specifically, I am examining the infrastructural dynamics of scholarly blogs using quantitative (text mining and qualitative (grounded theory) techniques to construct and analyze an archive of digital humanist blogs.

Hang Cao

Since 1997, I have been a faculty member (associate professor 2009-2015) of the Department of Library, Information and Archives at Shanghai University, where I discovered my love of academic research, publishing some papers. I have worked supervising Master’s students from China every year. My courses taught include Information economics, Introduction to archival science, foreign archives management, compilation of archival documents. My research interests are electronic records management, opening and utilization of archives, oral history studies and collaboration among libraries, archives and museums. I have a Master’s degree in History and a PHD in Economics. My background in history is what initially drew me to the field of archival studies. My most recent research has been in two primary directions: opening and utilization of archives and oral history studies. The findings from this study of the opening and utilization of archives have important implications for what China’s archives should take steps in the digital era. The oral history studies will help us to protect society’s memory of China.

Kathy Carbone

I am a third year doctoral student in Information Studies, with a focus in Archival Studies, at UCLA. My research investigates points of intersection between archives and artists, the sociocultural contexts and relationships the archive and archival records enter into through art production, circulation, and reception, and the body and performance as archive. At the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) I am the institute archivist and performing arts librarian, and a faculty member in the Herb Alpert School of Music. I am also a modern dancer/choreographer, and for twenty-five years have been collaborating with musicians and dancers through improvisation and set material in theater and gallery based live performance events. I hold a BFA in Dance and MA in Dance and Music from Ohio University and a MLIS from Kent State University.

Michelle Caswell

Michelle Caswell is an Assistant Professor of Archival Studies in the department of information studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her research explores how communities create and use records and archives, with a particular focus on communities that have experienced human rights abuse, discrimination, and/or marginalization.

Her book, Archiving the Unspeakable: Silence, Memory and the Photographic Record in Cambodia (University of Wisconsin Press, 2014) explores the social life of a collection of mug shots taken by the Khmer Rouge regime. She is also the author of more than twenty research articles published in Archival Science, American Archivist, Archivaria, Libri, The Public Historian, Archives and Manuscripts, International Journal of Human Rights, Interactions and First Monday. Her essay, “Inventing New Archival Imaginaries: Theoretical Foundations for Identity-Based Community Archives” (published in Identity Palimpsests: Ethnic Archiving in the U.S. and Canada by Litwin Books), won the 2014 Library Juice Paper Competition. In 2014, she guest-edited a special double issue of Archival Science on archives and human rights.

She received a PhD in LIS with a concentration in Languages and Cultures of Asia from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2012 and holds an MLIS from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, a Master’s degree in world religions from Harvard University, and a BA in religion from Columbia University.

Caswell is also the co-founder of the South Asian American Digital Archive (http://www.saadigitalarchive.org), an online repository that documents and provides access to the diverse stories of South Asian Americans.

Janet Ceja

Janet Ceja is a faculty member at Simmons College in the School of Library and Information Science; she holds a doctorate degree in Library and Information Science from the University of Pittsburgh. Her fields of interest include the history and preservation of moving images, archival education and advocacy, and the role of archives in preserving intangible cultural heritage in Mexico and in Latino and Indigenous communities in the U.S.

Marika Cifor

Marika Cifor is a second-year doctoral student in Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles where she is also pursuing a Concentration Certificate in Gender Studies. Her research interests include community archives, sexuality, affects, queer and feminist theories, and collective memory. She holds a MS in Library and Information Science with a Concentration in Archives Management and an MA in History from Simmons College and a BA in History and Political, Legal, and Economic Analysis from Mills College.

Anthony Cocciolo

Anthony Cocciolo’s research and teaching are in the archives area, particularly in the digital aspects (such as born-digital archiving, digitization, and computer-mediated access) as well as moving image and sound archiving. Prior to Pratt, he was the Head of Technology for EdLab and the Gottesman Libraries at Teachers College, Columbia University, where he worked on digital initiatives. He completed his doctorate from the Communication, Computing, Technology in Education program at Teachers College, Columbia University, and undergraduate degree in Computer Science from the University of California, Riverside.

Christopher Colwell

Christopher Colwell is a doctoral candidate and Casual Lecturer in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Technology, Sydney. He holds a Masters of Arts (Information and Knowledge Management) and a Bachelor of Applied Science (Information Studies), and is a Fellow and Life Member of Records and Information Management Professionals Australasia (RIM Professionals Australasia).

Chris has 25 years experience in the information disciplines, both in Australian and in the United Kingdom, and for the last 17 years has implemented records and information management programs in Australian public sector agencies. His research focusses on the perceptions of records by diverse professional groups in Australian public sector agencies in an age of social media. He is particularly interested in the socio-material nature of recordkeeping practices in the digital age and how such things as organisational and professional cultures, together with new and emerging forms of technology and records influence professionals constructions of records in their everyday practices.

Paul Conway

I am an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Information. My research and teaching focuses on archival science, the digitization and preservation of photographs, books, and audiovisual resources, and the ethics of new technologies. My funded research projects at Michigan have included developing a model of expert user interaction with large collections of digitized photographs, modeling and measuring the quality of large scale digitization as represented in the HathiTrust Digital Library, and exploring the value of creating thematic aggregations of digitized content from multiple organizations. My methodological toolkit includes survey research, qualitative interviewing, text coding, and grounded theory, and statistical data analysis. I am highly oriented toward audiovisual studies, visual culture, and representation theory – perspectives that tie together my interests in digitization, photography, and the relationship of words and images. Prior to joining the Michigan faculty, I was an archivist at the National Archives and Records Administration and a senior administrator for the libraries at Yale and Duke universities. In 2005, I received the American Library Association’s Paul Banks and Carolyn Harris Preservation Award for my contributions to the preservation field. I am a fellow of the Society of American Archivists and hold a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan.

Richard Cox

Richard J. Cox is Professor in Library and Information Science at the University of Pittsburgh, School of Information Sciences where he is responsible for the archives concentration in the Master’s in Library Science degree and the Ph.D. degree. Dr. Cox served as Editor of the American Archivist from 1991 through 1995 and Editor of the Records & Information Management Report from 2001 through 2007. He has written extensively on archival and records management topics and has published numerous books and articles in this area; three of his publications — American Archival Analysis: The Recent Development of the Archival Profession in the United States (1990); Managing Records as Evidence and Information (2001); and No Innocent Deposits: Forming Archives by Rethinking Appraisal (2004) – have won the Waldo Gifford Leland Award. Dr. Cox was elected a Fellow of the Society of American Archivists in 1989. He is presently working on book projects on the value of archives, new ways of thinking about scholarly publishing, and the distractions of the digital era.

Roderic Crooks

I study the proliferation of computing into everyday life via smartphones, tablets, and apps, primarily through ethnography. My dissertation research uses ethnographic methods to dispute the frequently invoked social justice rationale for one-to-one tablet computer programs in public schools on theoretical and empirical grounds and argues that educational interventions using consumer electronics to create learning benefits must account for the labor and resources that these devices and their software demand. Based on 200 hours of observation over two school years at a South Central Los Angeles high school, I document a number of barriers to the integration of tablet computers into classroom instruction and paint a more complex picture of use (and non-use) of computers in a specific institution. This research contributes to my larger, overall project: a critique of the continuously increasing role of computers in everyday life. In addition to my doctoral research, I study “social discovery” apps, more commonly called dating or hookup apps.

Morgan Daniels

I am a CLIR Postdoctoral Fellow in Data Curation at Vanderbilt University and a recent PhD graduate of the University of Michigan’s School of Information. My research focuses on people’s experiences of information reuse, particularly as they use research data collected by others. In the context of my dissertation, I examined the experiences of researchers in museums as they worked with observation data collected by others over the previous 100 years, navigating the differences in standards, methods, and systems for recording data used over time. As part of my current work developing data curation services for a university campus, I am conducting a research project looking at the ways in which cross-disciplinary collaborators communicate about their research data to enable colleagues outside their immediate field to understand and use them.

Devan Donaldson

Devan Ray Donaldson recently completed his Ph.D. at the University of Michigan School of Information. In the broad research areas of data curation and digital preservation, he investigates preservation management, preservation metadata, digital repositories, users and issues of trust and trustworthiness in a digital repository context.

Donaldson’s research has appeared in the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Archival Science, and Library Hi Tech. Donaldson has also presented his research at the International Conference on the Preservation of Digital Objects (iPres’2011 and iPres’2013) as well as the Conference of the International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST’2012).

He holds a M.S. in Library Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a B.A. in History from the College of William and Mary in Virginia. In 2005, he studied abroad at Oxford University, Hertford College. He has been a Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar since 2002, a Horace H. Rackham Merit Fellow since 2008 and an Edward Alexander Bouchet Graduate Honor Society Member since 2012.

In Fall of 2015, he will join the faculty in the Department of Information and Library Science (ILS) in the School of Informatics and Computing (SoIC) at Indiana University, Bloomington.

Lorrie Dong

I am a doctoral candidate at the University of Texas at Austin’s School of Information (UT). My dissertation research examines the social ecologies of mental health records over time. I study how medical records from a state institution in the American South mediated social relationships within the hospital and across broader communities (e.g., professional, local) from the late 19th century to the present. The intent is to better understand how these records were and continue to be participants in discursive power structures as they transition from active medical documents to archival objects. I consider the ethical and socio-political implications of institutional documents containing potentially sensitive information becoming part of the cultural record.

I hold a B.A. in English from the University of California, Berkeley; an M.Phil. in Renaissance literature from the University of Cambridge; and a MSIS with a specialization in preservation administration from UT. Past institutions that I have worked for include the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Smithsonian Institution Libraries, and UT’s Architecture & Planning Library.

Chad Doran

Chad Doran is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Maryland’s iSchool in College Park, MD. Prior to entering the doctoral program, he focused his studies on the management and administration of information systems, earning his Masters in Information Management from the University of Maryland and Masters in Business Administration from Johns Hopkins University. Prior to that, Chad completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Notre Dame, where he earned a B.A. in Government.

Chad is a member of the SAA (Society of American Archivists) and ARMA (Association of Record Managers and Administrators) International and is the outgoing president of the Greater Baltimore Maryland Chapter of ARMA International. Chad has held the designation of Certified Records Manager (CRM) since October 2007.

Chad is currently the Chief Records Management Officer of Arlington County, VA. In this position, Chad is responsible for the governance and administration of the records management program for the county. Prior to this, he was a Records and Information Manager at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab in Laurel, MD.

Chad’s experiences have led him to research a number of related areas in electronic records management including: records and information management for social media applications, digital preservation, information law and policy, and information governance. He is currently studying how federal agencies manage and preserve records generated by social media applications.

Jonathan Dorey

Jonathan Dorey is a Ph.D. candidate at the McGill University School of Information Studies in Montréal, Canada. His doctoral research focuses on the needs and expectations of history undergraduates with regards to access to digital archives. His primary fields of study are language and information, information behaviour, information and archival literacy, archival use and reuse. Jonathan has been an active participant at AERI since 2011 and was part of the Scoping the Published Archival Research Corpus (SPARC) and Charting the Archival Enterprise in Doctoral Education through AERI research projects. He has taught master level classes at the McGill University School of Information Studies and Université de Montréal’s École de bibliothéconomie et des sciences de l’information.

Jonathan holds an MLIS from McGill University (2010), a graduate certificate in website and software localization from Université de Montréal (2008) and a bachelor’s degree in translation and East-Asian studies from Université de Montréal (2002). He is a certified translator since 2005. Jonathan has worked at BG Communications and Harris Interactive in Montréal as well as numerous clients as a translator, at Google Montréal as a local bilingual taxonomy specialist and at CEDROM-SNi as a librarian.

Wendy M. Duff 

Professor Wendy Duff obtained her BA (1979) from the University of King’s College, her MLS (1983) from Dalhousie University and her Ph.D. (1996) from the University of Pittsburgh. She is the Director of the Digital Curation Institute, and teaches archives and records management with a focus on access to archival materials.

She is a founding member of AX-SNet, an evolving international team of researchers interested in facilitating access to primary materials. She has also served as a member of the ICA Adhoc Commission on Descriptive Standards, the Encoded Archival Description Working Group, and The Canadian Council of Archives Standards Committee.

Her current research focuses on archival users, the archives and social justice, digital curation, and archives and social media.

Joanne Evans

A Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of IT at Monash University, my research relates to the design and development of archival information systems, with particular emphasis on recordkeeping metadata, interoperability and sustainability. I am particularly interested in exploring the requirements for archival systems in community environments using inclusive systems and research design approaches. With digital and networking information technologies throwing down many challenges for archival and recordkeeping endeavours, in both my teaching and my research I like to explore how they may help us develop better archival and recordkeeping infrastructures, in turn enriching our understanding of records, archives and archivists in society.

Robert Douglas Ferguson

I am a doctoral candidate at the McGill School of Information Studies in Montréal, Québec, Canada. My Ph.D research explores personal management (PIM) and personal archiving of financial records among young adults. My research aims to improve the recordkeeping capacities of financial tools and services. My doctoral research is supervised by Prof. France Bouthillier at the McGill School of Information Studies and funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). I hold Masters and Bachelors of Arts degrees in Social Anthropology from York University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. As an anthropologist by training, I am interested in individual and group identity construction that occurs through documentation and information-related practices. I am also interested in how human values can be reflected in design of space and technology.

Donald Force

I am an Assistant Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Information Studies (SOIS), where I am teaching courses in the archival studies program. In 2013, I earned my PhD from the University of British Columbia. My dissertation focused on the nexus between recordkeeping practices and admissibility of evidence criteria required by Canadian courts. My areas of research involve archival science pedagogy, specifically, the development of records and information management (RIM) education; the use and application of recordkeeping standards; and legal issues associated with records management practices in North America, specifically e-discovery and business records as admissible evidence.

Nitoshia L. Ford

Nitoshia Ford is a first year doctoral student at Dominican University’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science. She earned her MLIS and Certificate in Archives and Cultural Heritage Resources and Services at the university in 2014 and holds a BA in Gender and Women’s Studies from the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Nitoshia’s research interests include Black Feminist Theory and Black women’s literature. She is particularly interested in how the intersecting social constructs of gender, sexuality, race, and class affect methods of documentation in marginalized communities, particularly, Black women. Her research objectives are to identify the methods of documenting utilized by Black women; and how these methods are situated in the larger discourse surrounding history, social memory, authenticity, authority in archives, and the protests that often arise when the subaltern speak.

Nitoshia is a United States Navy Veteran who currently works in Law Enforcement and is enjoying her transition into Library and Information Science. As a developing scholar, she will utilize her social location to add to the growing chorus of voices that speak truth to power.

Patricia Galloway

Patricia Galloway joined the University of Texas at Austin School of Information’s archival studies specialization, where she is now Professor, in 2000. She teaches courses in digital archives, archival appraisal, and historical museums. From 1979 to 2000 she worked at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, where she was an editor, historian, museum exhibit developer, and manager of archival information systems, and from 1997 to 2000 directed an NHPRC-funded project to create an electronic records program for Mississippi. Her academic qualifications include a BA in French from Millsaps College (1966); and an MA (1968) and PhD (1973) in Comparative Literature and PhD in Anthropology (2004), all from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Her research interests are strongly focused on investigating phenomena of digital recordkeeping over time, stretching from the complexities of personal digital recordkeeping as expressed through software choices and the longitudinal evolution of organizational practices; to the long-term stability of archival digital repositories in terms especially of data model and authentication structures.

Ann Garascia

Ann Garascia is a doctoral candidate in English at University of California, Riverside.   She earned an M.A. in English from San Francisco State University (2011). Her research interests include nineteenth-century British literature and culture, archival studies, performance studies, disability studies, and queer theory. Her dissertation, titled “Freaking the Archive: the Archival Possibilities of the Victorian Freak Show,” looks to the nineteenth-century freak show and its contemporary afterlives to propose an ethically aware and socially responsible model of archival work. In constructing unusual and innovative “freak” archives, her work insists on the possibility that any archive can produce more just human relationships and inclusive futures.

Patricia Garcia

Patricia Garcia is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her research examines the relationship between participatory culture and information organizations. Using sociology of standards concepts and ethnographic data, her dissertation investigates how North American archival standards affect educators’ abilities to participate in the national mandate to utilize primary sources as instructional tools in K-12 classrooms. Currently, she is investigating how underrepresented communities participate in the curation of cultural heritage materials on digital platforms. She holds an MLIS degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, an MA degree in English Literature from the University of Texas at Austin, and a BA degree in Writing and Rhetoric from St. Edward’s University.

Jamila Ghaddar

I am a first-year doctoral student at the University of Toronto’s iSchool, where I completed a Master of Information specialized in Archives & Records Management. I hold an undergraduate degree in Anthropology with a minor in Linguistics from McMaster University. My doctoral research explores archives from a cultural heritage paradigm in the Middle East, with a focus on Lebanon. I have gained research and ARM experience as a Research Assistant at the Faculty of Information with the Social Justice & Archive Project (PI: Prof. Wendy Duff); the Memory, Meaning-Making & Collections community-based project with the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto (PI: Prof. Cara Krmotich); and the Corporate Video Surveillance Project (PI: Prof. Andrew Clement). I have also developed my ARM skills in other professional settings. Before joining the iSchool, I was for many years a social worker and program coordinator in NGO and community settings.

Anne J. Gilliland

I am a professor of information studies and director of the archival studies specialization at UCLA. I have worked extensively teaching, supervising, co-supervising and mentoring Master’s and Ph.D. students from UCLA and several other universities around the world. I am also the director of the Center for Information as Evidence (CIE) at UCLA and the director of the Archival Education and Research Initiative (AERI). I am committed to supporting the development of archival education programs that produce rigorous, reflexive, critical, culturally-sensitive, technologically competent, and globally-aware archival practitioners, researchers and educators.

My work addresses conceptualizations, agency and affect of the record, the archive, and evidence in an increasingly digital, post-colonial and globalized world. In particular, my research addresses the following aspects:

• the design, evaluation and history of recordkeeping, cultural and community information systems in local and global contexts;
  • recordkeeping in support of human rights and daily life in post-conflict settings, with a focus on the countries of the former Yugoslavia (SFRY);
  • community-based archiving and social justice concerns, especially as they relate to archives and records and especially Indigenous, racial and ethnic, LGBT and other under-represented or underempowered communities of record;
  • metadata creation, management and archaeology; and,
  • professional and research infrastructure-building for archival studies, e.g., archival research methods, archival intellectual history, community-based research, professional and research education and pedagogy, internationalization of archival work, pluralization of the archival field and its theory and practice base, and archival education.
Karen F. Gracy

Karen F. Gracy is an associate professor at the School of Library and Information Science of Kent State University. She possesses an MLIS and PhD in Library and Information Science from the University of California, Los Angeles and an MA in critical studies of Film and Television from UCLA. Recent publications have appeared in JASIST, Archival Science, American Archivist, Journal of Library Metadata, and Information and Culture.

Dr. Gracy’s scholarly interests are found within the domain of cultural heritage stewardship, which encompasses a broad range of activities such as preservation and conservation processes and practices, digital curation activities that consider the roles of heritage professionals and users in the lifecycle of objects and records, as well as knowledge representation activities such as definitions of knowledge domains, development of standards for description, and application of new technologies to improve access to cultural heritage objects.

Dr. Gracy teaches in the areas of preservation and archiving, with a focus on moving image archives and digital preservation issues. As an instructor, one of her greatest challenges is to take students’ natural attraction to the physical material in collections and transform it into an enthusiasm for and a mastery of the complex set of functions and tasks that comprise the world of cultural heritage stewardship. To learn to think like an archivist or preservationist, a student must gain both theoretical and practical knowledge and use those two types of knowledge in tandem to make decisions in real-world environments.

Ann Graf

Now in my third year of the PhD, I have just recently completed writing and successfully defending my qualifying exams and am moving on to my dissertation proposal. My MLIS included a focus on knowledge organization. I continue this focus during my PhD studies, adding exploration of distributed photographic documentation and organization of a specific artistic form in online collections. Such research will add to knowledge of domain-specific communities of practice, ways of knowing, and approaches to information organization. It will also involve the examination of collaborative and distributed online community archiving practices, seen both within single websites featuring consolidated collections from widely dispersed users and also across various sites managed by individuals and groups.

I taught information literacy for undergraduates for three semesters at a local community college before beginning my PhD studies. I was a TA for a master’s level information organization course last semester at UW-Milwaukee and this semester for an undergraduate level course in knowledge organization. My bibliographical research in support of the Encyclopedia of Milwaukee project ongoing in the History Department at UW-Milwaukee has resulted in the recent publication of Bibliography of Metropolitan Milwaukee, a 345-page monograph with over 2,000 resources about the city.

Jane Gruning

I am a fourth-year doctoral student at the University of Texas at Austin, and hold degrees in English literature and philosophy as well as an MSIS in which I focused on digital archives. My research focuses on the broad question of how people think about digital objects as different kinds of objects than physical objects, and what that means for how we interact with digital objects. As digital objects play increasingly important roles in various aspects of daily life, it becomes more important to understand how these objects are conceptualized and used by humans. I approach this subject from the perspectives of discourse (how do we talk about digital objects, and what are the implications of that talk?) and ethnographically informed observation (how do people interact with digital objects? what are the perceived affordances, limitations, and values of those objects, especially in comparison to ‘physical’ objects?). I am also interested in digital virtual consumption practices (when people pay ‘real’ money for digital objects), and questions about how user interfaces may influence human conceptions of digital objects. This subject is central for digital archives because recent empirical research has shown that people tend to see digital objects as unstable, ephemeral, and in some sense ‘not real’ in comparison with physical objects. If creators of digital objects consider those objects to be things that do not last, they may not be likely to try to keep them. In that case, what kinds of digital representations of personal lives will be available for archival institutions to acquisition in the future?

Tamy Guberek

I’m a Ph.D. student at the University of Michigan’s School of Information. I’m interested in 1) the production of information about violence and the various types of silences in sources, and 2) how to carefully and defensibly bridge the production and consumption extremes in the human rights information process. This research agenda stems from my experience, for more than a decade, working in partnership with human rights organizations worldwide on data collection methods, quantitative analysis, historical interpretation, and integration of technology to advance human rights goals. I’m currently working on a project researching the production of silence about violence in the Historical Archives of the Guatemalan National Police.

Melvin Hale

My doctoral research is based upon a theory of visual perception grounded in the manner in which knowledge can be derived from the study of photographs. The title of my dissertation is “Toward a Unified Theory of Visual Knowledge in Library, Archives and Information Studies: A Test of the KBI Model Using Documentary Photographs.” In my research I used three qualitative methods commonly used in visual anthropology (photo-elicitation, visual ethnography, and rephotography) to produce rich narratives from subject matter present in photographs. I demonstrated that valid knowledge claims can be produced from the theoretical properties derived from a model of visual perception as a construct of what one knows, believes, and imagines (KBI). My teaching philosophy stresses facilitating a learner-centric approach in which learning outcomes are achieved not only by imparting knowledge, but through activities that encourage student involvement and student objectives. I am interested in promoting KBI in archival descriptions as a discursive system in which the properties of visual perception are expressed in the narratives that emerge from visual materials.

Hariz Halilovich

Hariz Halilovich, PhD—an award-winning anthropologist and author—is an Associate Professor at Monash University’s Office of the Vice-Provost (Learning and Teaching). His main research areas include politically motivated violence, forced migration, memory studies, place–based identity politics and human rights (incl. right to education). As an anthropologist specialising in multi-sited and digital ethnography, he has identified novel ways to research how adults and young people use narratives and digital technologies to build life stories about war, displacement, genocide, reconciliation and personal identity. This research informs his approaches to learning and teaching, which see students engage in experiential learning, field based studies and action research in order to better understand self and community.

Carolyn Hank

Carolyn Hank (Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) is an Assistant Professor in the School of Information Sciences at the College of Communication and Information at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She teaches graduate level courses in digital curation, human information interactions, research methods and social media, technology and society. She is also involved in professional training, including serving as an instructor in the Digital Curation Professional Institute since 2009. Her current research examines the persistence of user-generated content published to social networking sites.

Robb Hernandez

As an Assistant Professor of Latina/o literary and cultural studies in the Department of English at the University of California, Riverside and affiliate faculty in the Book, Archive, and Manuscript (BAM) studies program, I teach courses in Latina/o visual/material culture, performance studies, and queer theory. I have long engaged “the archive” as an area of research, graduate training, and teaching practice. I contend that “the archive” as a matter of social inquiry has historical antecedents in the art and literature of the Chicano movement. An “archival consciousness” pervaded the Mexican American civil rights struggle parlaying an unprecedented generation of university libraries and presses dedicated to the establishment of Chicano Studies and the preservation of its culture. This legacy is evinced in the “Chicano Archive” book series published by the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center of which I have published two volumes theorizing the queer evidence of experimental performance artist, Robert “Cyclona” Legorreta and the “museumscapes” of VIVA: Lesbian and Gay Latino Artists of Los Angeles. In the latter, I use GIS spatial mapping to illuminate queer circuits of Latino art exhibition in West LA. My research considers the queerness of the Chicano archive and its creative function through artifactual and visual conjunctions, fulcrums, and juxtapositions. With an emphasis on form and placement rather than document authority, I work toward developing another language for alternative recordkeeping systems particularly for racialized and queer subjects facing cultural neglect and erasure in mainstream storehouses of national memory.

Dalena Hunter

Dalena Hunter is a PhD Candidate in the Information Studies Program at UCLA. She completed her B.A. in English at Cal State University, Northridge and her MLIS and MA in African American Studies at UCLA. Her dissertation uses ethnographic methods to explore recordkeeping cultures at archives that capture black lesbian experiences and how those archives are subsequently used by researchers. Ms. Hunter is also the Librarian at UCLA Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies.

Asen O. Ivanov

I hold a Bachelor of Communications from University of Malta and an MA in Heritage Studies from University of Amsterdam. I am currently writing a PhD at the Faculty of Information (iSchool) at University of Toronto. My dissertation research comparatively examines appraisal and preservation practices at two Canadian digital moving image (film and television) archives by drawing on theoretical concepts from the fields of archival science, organizational studies, and practice theory and by using qualitative methods for data collection and analysis including participant observation, semi-structured interviews, and genre analysis. The overarching objective of this project is to determine the extent to which micro- sociological factors and socio-technical processes influence the determination of authenticity and value of digital moving image archives. In this way, I seek to contribute to the broader debate about authenticity and value of digital archives in archival science and digital preservation and curation literature. Beyond the scope of my PhD research, I am interested in studying the practices and technologies through which libraries, archives, and museums organize, preserve, and assign value to cultural materials—with primary focus being contemporary digital preservation and curation contexts. I am also a sessional lecturer at the School of Image Arts at Ryerson University (Toronto, ON), where I teach digital preservation and collections management.

Paul T. Jaeger

Paul T. Jaeger, Ph.D., J.D., is Co-Director of the Information Policy and Access Center and Professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland. Dr. Jaeger’s research focuses on the ways in which law and public policy shape information behavior, particularly for underserved populations. He is the author of more than one hundred and twenty journal articles and book chapters, along with seven books. His most recent books are Information Worlds: Social Context, Technology, & Information Behavior in the Age of the Internet (Routledge, 2010) with Gary Burnett; and Public Libraries and the Internet: Roles, Perspectives, and Implications (Libraries Unlimited, 2011) with John Carlo Bertot and Charles R. McClure; and Disability and the Internet: Confronting a Digital Divide (Lynne Reiner, 2012). His research has been funded by the Institute of Museum & Library Services, the National Science Foundation, the American Library Association, the Smithsonian Institute, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, among others. Dr. Jaeger is Co-Editor of Library Quarterly and Co-Editor of the Information Policy Book Series from MIT Press.

Katherine Jarvie

Katherine Jarvie has worked as an archivist in Australia since 2003, and currently manages a team of archivists and records managers at a globally recognised University, the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). Katherine is a part-time doctoral student at Monash University in Melbourne.

As an archival practitioner and scholar, Katherine engages with the academic and professional fields. Early in her career, she was awarded the Margaret Jennings Award for academic excellence from Monash University for her published research. Katherine is also past Editor of the Australian Society of Archivists’ journal Archives and Manuscripts and was most recently a national Council member of the Australian Society of Archivists.

James King

James King is a third-year doctoral student at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Information Sciences. He holds a BA from Samford University, an MA in English from Boston College, and an MLIS from the University of Alabama. Prior to beginning the doctoral program, he worked as an Admissions Coordinator at North Bennet Street School and completed archives courses at Simmons College. His current research interests lie in the intersection of archives and questions of cultural memory and conflict, particularly those addressing how archives function within communities fractured by war and other historical traumas. My research and teaching are both informed by an interdisciplinary approach that draws from my background in the humanities.

David Kim

David Kim is a Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow at the Center for Digital Liberal Arts at the Occidental College. His research examines the cultural politics of representation in the digital archives of minoritarian histories in the US. Informed by his experience in developing digital resources for various community-based cultural organizations in New York City and Los Angeles, his digital projects explore emerging tools, platforms and methods (content management systems, 3D models, data visualizations, etc) to imagine new modes of conceptualizing difference and to critique both the discourse of multiculturalism and techno-liberalism of the current information economy. Prior to Occidental, he has co-designed and taught courses in the digital humanities and on the history of technology/information infrastructure in the US. He holds Phd in Information Studies from UCLA, MA in English from NYU, and MLIS from Pratt Institute.

Ann-Sofie Klareld

I commenced as a Doctoral Candidate in 2013 at the Department of Archives and Computer Science, Mid Sweden University. I am researching in the project GoInfo, Good Information Governance. Prior to entering the doctoral program, I worked as an archivist and a registrar for five years, foremost in the governmental and municipal sector in Sweden. I hold a bachelor’s degree in Archives and Information Science and a Master of Arts in Ethnology.

My scholarship philosophy is still developing since I am a new researcher. My dissertation in progress explores how mandates and responsibilities concerning public agencies archives are (re)organized in the context of eGovernment. I anticipate that attending AERI and interacting with other archival scholars will lead me to further formulate a scholarship philosophy, and develop my skills as a researcher.

Since I began my academic career as a Doctoral Candidate, I have completed courses in Computer and Applied Systems Science, Information Management, Scientific Writing and Presentation, Theory of Social and Cultural Sciences, Innovative Applications of Research and Science, Action Research and Critical Theory. Milestones accomplished include writing a research proposal, writing papers, participating in GoInfo workshop series planning and data collection, participating in the project InterPARES Trust in Digital Records in an Increasingly Networked World.

To attend AERI will be a great opportunity for me to meet and learn from experienced scholars from around the world, discuss and receive comments on my research, something that will significantly help me to develop as a researcher.

Elisabeth Klett

I began my PhD studies at Mid Sweden University in September 2014. In parallel I work as senior archivist at Stockholm City Archives, where my duties focus on project management for the strategic development of digital records and archives, most recently developing a digital archival strategy for Stockholm. I have long been interested in the notion of digital information: – what it is, how it differs from paper and how we archivists should take advantage of the possibilities that can be realized from the digital format. What conclusions can we draw to optimize benefits for users of records and archives today and in the future?

I have several international commitments; member of ISO TC 46 SC 11 Records Management since 2001, chair of the Swedish Standards Institute (SIS) TK 546 Management systems for records since 2011. I am also a member of the EU network Eurocities Knowledge Society, in their working group for Open Data. I represent Stockholm City Archives in the Inter-PARES Trust project and I am a member of the international network within the City of Stockholm.

My reason for studying appraisal is a result of having to choose – there is so much to explore about digital records and archives, but the most important thing is ensuring that the records are there! For use, analysis, re-use and re-processing to provide new knowledge – and to underpin the development of new services besides of using them as the evidence they originally were.

Adam Kriesberg

I am a doctoral candidate at the University of Michigan School of Information. My research interests focus on access to digital archival and cultural materials. My dissertation examines public-private partnerships between US state and territorial archives and private sector organizations, focusing on the ways in which government archives and libraries in US states and territories engage with the private sector around digitization of records such as state census, birth, death, land ownership and use, and other events central to life in a democratic society. During my time at Michigan, I have also worked as a Graduate Student Research Assistant on the Archival Metrics and Dissemination Information Packages for Information Reuse (DIPIR) projects.

My commitment to archival scholarship comes from a belief that our field must continue advocating for broad access to digitized archival materials. The affordances of technology should not obscure the need for continued critical inquiry into the role of digital records in the public information landscape. As a scholar, I aspire to be a strong supporter of public access to information of all types, and to emphasize this idea in my research and teaching. Preservation of the cultural record and the provision of access for citizens are continued drivers of my work, and a source of inspiration as I explore access systems and the impact of partnerships with public archival institutions.

Kari Kraus

Kari Kraus is an associate professor in the College of Information Studies and the Department of English. Her research and teaching interests focus on new media and the digital humanities; textual scholarship, print culture, and the history of the book; digital preservation; game studies; transmedia storytelling; and speculative design. She was a local Co-PI on two grants for preserving virtual worlds; the PI on an IMLS Digital Humanities Internship grant; and, with Derek Hansen, the Co-Principal Investigator of an NSF grant to study Alternate Reality Games (ARGs) and transmedia storytelling in the service of education and design. Her latest transmedia work is likewise funded by the NSF. Currently she is Co-PI on “Exploring Invisible Traces in Historic Recordings,” a collaborative project with Min Wu (PI) and Doug Oard funded by an ADVANCE seed grant at UMD. The project applies audio forensics techniques to help recover provenance information about undated recordings.

Kraus has written for the New York Times and the Huffington Post, and her work has been mentioned in the Atlantic, Baltimore Public Radio, the Huffington Post, Gamasutra, Wired, and the Long Now Foundation. She is writing a book about how artists, designers, and humanities researchers think about, model, and design possible futures. A copy of her CV can be found here.

Michael Kurtz

Michael J. Kurtz is on the faculty of the College of Information Studies and is the associate director of the Digital Curation Innovation Center (DCIC). He is co-director of the College’s first post-Master’s certificate program, the Curation and Management of Digital Assets. He has served as the assistant director responsible for the Archives, Records, and Information Specialization, and as co-director of the Curation and Management of Digital Assets Specialization. Prior to this, he worked for 37 years as a professional archivist, manager, and senior executive at the National Archives and Records Administration, retiring in 2011 as Assistant Archivist. Professor Kurtz has published extensively in the areas of American history and archival management, including America and the Return of Nazi Contraband (2006, paperback 2009), The Allied Struggle over Cultural Restitution, 1942-1947 (International Journal of Cultural Property, 2010), The Inheritance of Jewish Property (Cardozo Law Review, 1998), John Gottlieb Morris: Man of God, Man of Science (Maryland Historical Society, 1997), Emancipation in the Federal City (Civil War History, 1978), and Managing Archival and Manuscript Repositories (2004). He lives outside Annapolis, Maryland, with his wife, Cherie, and their two cats-Samson and Delilah.

Andrew Lau

I am an independent researcher and an information professional working in continuing education and technology. I received my PhD in Information Studies (2013) and my Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (2008) from UCLA. In my dissertation research, I explored the documentation practices of a group of LA artists working loosely under the rubric of “social practice” in community arts, and offered a critique of concepts and ideas in archival studies grounded in ethnographic observations. My current research interests are clustered in the following areas: Documentation practices in contemporary art; archives and racial identity; community archives and documentation practices; educational informatics and learning applications for technology.

I consider teaching to be central to my practice as a scholar, and have a strong orientation toward community and public education. I have facilitated workshops on topics relating to archival studies, theory, and practice with community art spaces in Los Angeles and San Francisco, in addition to teaching classes on social media at Glendale Community College and leading a special topics workshop on archives and documentation in contemporary art at the California Institute for the Arts. In 2015-2016, I will be teaching several online courses with University of Maryland’s College of Information Studies.

Currently, I serve as Program Director for Instructional Content Development in the Office of Instructional Enhancement at UCLA Extension. In my role, I work toward developing, implementing, and overseeing the ongoing improvement of learning infrastructures, policies, and practices relating to instructors’ use of technology for online instruction.

Gregory Leazer

Prof. Leazer is an associate professor and former chair of the UCLA Department of Information Studies. He conducts research on the organization of information, and information retrieval. He is also interested in the role of libraries in public education, and addressing the school library crisis in California. He is a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award in Science and Engineering by the National Science Foundation.

Christopher (Cal) Lee

Cal Lee is Associate Professor at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He teaches archival administration; records management; digital curation; understanding information technology for managing digital collections; and digital forensics. He is a lead organizer and instructor for the DigCCurr Professional Institute, and he teaches professional workshops on the application of digital forensics methods and principles.

Cal’s primary area of research is curation of digital collections. He is particularly interested in the professionalization of this work and the diffusion of existing tools and methods into professional practice. Cal developed “A Framework for Contextual Information in Digital Collections,” and edited and provided several chapters to I, Digital: Personal Collections in the Digital Era published by the Society of American Archivists.

Cal is Principal Investigator of BitCurator Access and was Principal Investigator of BitCurator; both projects have developed and disseminated open-source digital forensics tools for use by archivists and librarians. He was also Principal Investigator of the Digital Acquisition Learning Laboratory (DALL) project and is Senior Personnel on the DataNet Federation Consortium funded by the National Science Foundation. Cal has served as Co-PI on several projects focused on digital curation education: Preserving Access to Our Digital Future: Building an International Digital Curation Curriculum (DigCCurr), DigCCurr II: Extending an International Digital Curation Curriculum to Doctoral Students and Practitioners; Educating Stewards of Public Information for the 21st Century (ESOPI-21), Educating Stewards of the Public Information Infrastructure (ESOPI2), and Closing the Digital Curation Gap (CDCG).

Jamie A. Lee

Jamie A. Lee (Ph.D., 2015) will start Fall 2015 as Assistant Professor of Digital Culture, Information, and Society at the School of Information, University of Arizona. Her dissertation, A Queer/ed Archival Methodology: Theorizing Practice through Radical Interrogations of the Archival Body, emerges from her work with the Institute for LGBT Studies to develop the Arizona Queer Archives (AQA). Lee looks at archives/digital archives and uses the body as a framework to understand the archiving archives as related to bodily performance and embodied practices. Using her hands-on work within the AQA (her ‘test kitchen’) in and out of LGBTQ and Two Spirit communities, she engages queer theory, affect and embodiment, and somatechnics to look at bodies-as-archives and archives-as-bodies in and through shifting temporalities that challenge how we know and recognize records as records. Through this work, she has developed a Queer/ed Archival Methodology, Q/M, for archivists to utilize in new and existing archival productions to offer a way of thinking critically about archival practices and productions as radically open, productive, ongoing, and generative spaces that many multiply-situated bodies might fit into, even complicatedly. She has worked as a documentary filmmaker and TV/media producer and director since 1991. Her research and teaching interests are:  Theories of Archival Practice and Production, Digital and Community Archives, Digital Humanities, Social Justice Media/New Media/Communication Technologies, LGBTQ Studies, Queer Theory, Affect & Embodiment, Technology and Social Theory, and Online Pedagogy.

Jimmy Lin

I’m a professor in the iSchool at the University of Maryland, with appointments in the Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS) and the Department of Computer Science. I joined the faculty in August 2004, shortly after completing my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT, and was promoted to associate professor in March 2009.

I work on “big data”, with a particular focus on large-scale distributed algorithms for text processing. My research lies at the intersection of natural language processing (NLP) and information retrieval (IR). I’m a member of both the Computational Linguistics and Information Processing Lab (CLIP) and the Human-Computer Interaction Lab (HCIL).

I recently spent an extended sabbatical (from 2010 to 2012) at Twitter working on large-scale data analytics. You should follow @lintool on Twitter here! Previously, I’ve also consulted for for Cloudera, the enterprise Hadoop company.

Zack Lischer-Katz

Zack Lischer-Katz is a Library and Information Science PhD candidate at Rutgers University’s School of Communication & Information. His dissertation research looks at how preservation knowledge is constructed around digitization practices for visual materials. His other research interests include media archives, preservation standards, and visual epistemologies. He has taught courses on digital libraries for the Masters in Library and Information Science program at Rutgers University, and on video preservation for the Moving Image Archiving and Preservation (MIAP) Program at New York University. Currently, he teaches undergraduate-level courses in Digital Communication, Information and Media at Rutgers University. Before beginning doctoral work at Rutgers, he worked from 2005 to 2012 at New York University as Archive Assistant for the Cinema Studies Department Study Center and Film Archive, curated the weekly Cinema Studies 16mm film screening series, and assisted with the administration of the Moving Image Archiving and Preservation Program.

James Lowry

James Lowry is the Deputy Director of the International Records Management Trust and a doctoral research student in the Department of Information Studies, University College London. He has led records and archives management projects in Ethiopia, Nigeria, Russia, and Tunisia, and he was the lead researcher for the Trust’s Aligning Records Management with ICT, e-Government and Freedom of Information in East Africa research project, which examined public sector records management capacity across Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi in relation to government priorities for computerisation and access to information. He has written extensively on the development of national capacities for government record-keeping and access to information, most recently editing most recently editing, with Justus Wamukoya, Integrity in Government through Records Management, published by Ashgate in 2014.

Virginia Luehrsen

I was initially attracted to the field of special collections and archives while working during my undergraduate studies as a curatorial assistant in a history of medicine library and handling collections that included rare books, manuscripts, and personal documents. During my Master’s Degree studies, I extended this interest in special collections into an interest in culturally-based theories of collection management and preservation. Combining elements from my Library Science coursework with elements from my Masters in Folklore and Ethnomusicology, I was exposed to new ways of thinking about cultural and religious collections, and the concept of intangible cultural heritage in the library and archive.

Now at the University of Texas at Austin as a doctoral student in the School of Information, I have continued researching culturally-based preservation strategies and theories for the library and archive, looking particularly at how different cultures and communities may approach appraisal and selection of materials, and associate value with their preservation. This research has led me to my dissertation area which focuses on the theoretical perspective of information practice and indigenous knowledge creation in the context of disaster response and recovery. My more specific focus has been on community archives and community engagement regarding the creation and curation of knowledge. Using the theoretical perspective of information practice allows for an exploration of “knowing as action” rather than knowledge as an object of preservation, something I have already seen as a key component of working with communities in disaster contexts.   The resulting scholarship is not intended to be purely academic (though that element will be undoubtedly satisfied), but I hope it will also serve to provide practical guidance for librarians and archivists to implement culturally sensitive approaches to managing and preserving collection materials in their institutions.

As an academic, I am also concerned that both my research and teaching advance knowledge and integrity in the discipline. I have designed and taught undergraduate courses at the University of Texas at Austin that include competencies in archival research, curation, and information management. Students engage with key articles in the field, conduct site visits at local libraries, archives, and museums, and spend time focusing on the organization, preservation, description, interpretation, and display of a cultural heritage collection they have selected. Much of my instruction borrows from discovery-based pedagogical techniques, encouraging students to think critically and problem solve as a part of their learning experience.

Qing Ma

Ma Qing, PhD candidate on Archival Studies in School of Information Resource Management; Research Area: Basic Theory of Archival Science; Central theme of doctoral dissertation: Research on models for the development of the expertise on Archival Science of China; Played a vital part in 3 Projects supported by the National Social Science Foundation of China and 2 Projects supported by the Beijing Philosophy and Social Science Planning Office; Acted as chair of one Project supported by Renmin University of China; 7 theses have been published on core periodicals including Archives Science Bulletin and Archives Science Study with others.

Richard Marciano

Richard is a professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland and director of the newly formed Digital Curation Innovation Center (DCIC). He comes from the School of Information and Library Science (SILS) at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, where he served as professor and director of the Sustainable Archives and Leveraging Technologies (SALT) lab. Prior to that, he conducted research at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) at the University of California San Diego for over a decade with an affiliation in the Division of Social Sciences in the Urban Studies and Planning program. His research interests center on digital preservation, sustainable archives, cyberinfrastructure, and big data. He is currently the U. Maryland lead on a $10.5M 2013-2018 NSF/DIBBs implementation grant with the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign called Brown Dog. He holds degrees in Avionics and Electrical Engineering, a Master’s and Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Iowa, and conducted a Postdoc in Computational Geography.

Diana E. Marsh
Diana E. Marsh is a Postdoctoral Fellow in Museum Anthropology at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in conjunction with its Museum of Anthropology. As a museum theorist and practitioner, her work focuses on changing relationships between museums and the public, and how changing technologies, cultures and values affect the communication of knowledge. She completed her PhD in Anthropology at UBC, where her research focused on institutional ethnography and exhibits production in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History fossil halls. She completed an MPhil. in Social Anthropology with a Museums and Heritage focus at Cambridge in 2010, and a BFA in Visual Arts and Photography at the Mason Gross School of the Arts of Rutgers University in 2009.
Allan Martell

I am a first-year PhD student interested in the convergence of memory studies and Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICTD). In particular, I endeavor to study how information systems impact the way societies remember the past. My primary goal is to understand the role of technology use in the construction of memory in societies that have experienced conflicts. For this purpose, I focus my research around the civil war of El Salvador (1980-1992) and the memories of that event which remain present in Salvadoran society in the post-war period. My research is inspired by related projects about information systems and inter-generational dialogue in Rwanda, and information systems and post-conflict reconciliation in Liberia.

Before joining the PhD in Information Science at the University of Michigan, I worked for two years as a trainer in the non-profit sector in a variety of subjects: digital security, participatory video production, and climate change adaptation. I also thought writing courses for college freshmen and assisted research projects of historians and journalists interested in the civil war of El Salvador.

Eleanor Mattern

Eleanor “Nora” Mattern holds a joint appointment as a Visiting Assistant Professor at the School of Information Sciences and a Postdoctoral Researcher at the University Library System (ULS) at the University of Pittsburgh. She completed her PhD in Library and Information Sciences from Pitt in the summer of 2014. In her new role, Nora continues to engage in research and teaching in archival and information studies. With the ULS, she works in the newly formed Digital Scholarship Services unit and leads the library’s Research Data Management Working Group.

Lindsay Mattock

Lindsay Kistler Mattock is an Assistant Professor at The University of Iowa School of Library and Information Science. She teaches courses concerning the management of digital media, including one of the core courses for the University’s Public Digital Humanities Certificate. Mattock’s professional experience as a video-technician and background in filmmaking and photography have shaped her academic interest in the preservation of visual media and visual culture, analog and digital. Her current research extends from her dissertation Media Arts Centers as Alternative Archival Spaces: Investigating the Development of Archival Practices in Non-Profit Media Organizations, completed at the University of Pittsburgh last year.

Sigrid McCausland

Dr Sigrid McCausland is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Information Studies at Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia. She coordinates the Records and Archives Management specialisations of the Bachelor of Information Studies and Master of Information Studies programs and supervises two doctoral students. Her research focuses on how archival institutions engage with their publics and how community archives are coping with the digital transition. Her doctoral research was on antinuclear protest in Australia. Sigrid has held leadership positions in the archival profession at the local, national and international levels and she is currently Joint Secretary of the International Council on Archives Section on Archival Education and Training. Before joining CSU, Sigrid had a substantial career as a professional archivist, including serving as University Archivist at the University of Technology, Sydney and the Australian National University in Canberra; from 2006 to 2009 she was employed as Education Officer for the Australian Society of Archivists. Sigrid is a member of the Editorial Board of Archives and Manuscripts, journal of the Australian Society of Archivists. She has recently been appointed to the UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Committee and is also a member of the Federal Executive of the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History.

Sue McKemmish

I am Chair of Archival Systems, Monash University, Associate Dean of Graduate Research in the Faculty of IT, and Director of the Monash University Centre for Organisational and Social Informatics. My research relates to records continuum theory, the role of recordkeeping in society, metadata in records and archival systems, information resource discovery and smart information portals, Australian Indigenous archives, community and participatory archiving, archives and human rights, and the development of more inclusive archival educational programs that meet the needs of diverse communities. I have been involved in teaching the postgraduate teaching programs in records and archives at Monash since 1990, and am a Laureate of the Australian Society of Archivists.

Nathan Moles

Nathan Moles is currently pursuing a PhD in Information Studies at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto. He holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Information from the same university and is a graduate of the L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation at George Eastman House. His current research interests are in the area of digital curation and preservation. In 2013, Moles was involved in the DigCurV Project, and is currently a research assistant on the Benchmark-DP Project.

Angela Murillo

I am doctoral candidate at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I received my MLIS from the University of Iowa in May 2010. During my master’s program I was a Digital Libraries Research Fellow. I also worked for Digital Library Services, WiderNet, Special Collections. and University Archives.

My bachelor’s degrees are in Geosciences, English, and Spanish. During my English and Spanish degree I focused mainly on urban studies and transnational literatures. During my Geoscience degree my research was focused in geochemistry and paleoclimatology.

Research Interests:

• Scientific data management, reuse and sharing of data, and collaboration; specifically earth sciences.
  • Scientific data repositories, data, and metadata; specifically earth sciences.
  • Information seeking behavior of scientists.
  • Social and cultural aspects of information seeking behavior and use of information specifically for scientists.
Stacy Naipo

The Kamehameha Schools, Bernice Pauahi Bishop Estate was founded in 1887 by the will of the last remaining heir of the Kamehameha line. It was Bernice Pauahi Bishopʻs wish to use the proceeds of her considerable estate to educate children of Native Hawaiian ancestry. As archivist, I collect, preserve, and make accessible all material relating to the history of the schools. My prior work, as a research analyst at the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, allowed me to focus my thoughts on indigenous ways of knowing and contributed to my depth of knowledge about current socioeconomic disparities of the Native Hawaiian community. My current work continues with Native Hawaiian students, as I inform my K-12 audience on research methods, as well as the school’s 127-year history.

My future, and the basis for electing to continue on in academia, is to be a part of improving opportunities for Native Hawaiians via superior information management. My goal is to put theory into practice by creating, proposing and implementing, a working model for Kamehameha Schools/Bernice Pauahi Bishop Estateʻs position of Chief Information/Knowledge Officer, building policies and procedures from the ground up, and acquiring buy-in from the top down. Currently, there is nothing in place to manage information across the vast, tri-campus enterprise; consequently, many assets of the institution–both intellectual and material—are hidden or lost. I believe the implementation of such a division would accomplish three major goals: 1) Stop attrition of enterprise assets 2) Preserve intellectual and material capital to further the educational mission 3) Provide guidance and collaboration across the IT department and all institutional departments for improved information dissemination across the enterprise.

As a scholar in CIS, I plan to manage, promote, teach, and publish about information centralization and knowledge management for Hawai’i schools and corporations. My workplace offers the opportunity to implement a theoretical model in a working laboratory that may benefit other schools and corporations in Hawai’i and elsewhere.

Jinfang Niu

Jinfang Niu is an assistant professor at the School of Information, University of South Florida. She received her Ph.D degree from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Prior to that, she worked for the Tsinghua University Library in China for three years.

Dr. Niu’s current research focuses on information organization, digital curation and archives management.

Safiya Noble

I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Studies in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at UCLA. I conduct research in socio-cultural informatics; including feminist, historical and political-economic perspectives on computing platforms and software in the public interest. My research is at the intersection of culture and technology in the design and use of applications on the Internet. My current book about Google and identity for sale in the age of the Internet is forthcoming in 2016 (NYU Press).

Erik Nordberg

I come to archival research with perspectives gleaned from twenty years of professional employment in archives, public history, and cultural programming. These experiences inform my belief that historical records, in both tangible and digital forms, are active materials with unlimited potentials for research and use. My work in academic institutions has included regional manuscript collections, noncurrent government records, corporate archives, and organizational records. These collections provide key sources which document America’s changing business, industry, and labor landscape. I have completed doctoral coursework in the program of Industrial Heritage and Archaeology, have successfully completed comprehensive examinations, and have committee support for my dissertation proposal. Although I am not in a formal LIS program, my research interests are firmly rooted in archival studies, particularly the history of manuscript collecting, appraisal theory, and the topical area of industrial and business collections.

My dissertation examines four institutions which have undertaken significant collecting in business and industry. In addition to a case study approach, my methodologies include analysis of historical documents and in-depth interviews with archivists, curators, and historians about their work. This work is multidisciplinary in scope – addressing both the evolution of archival theory and practice as well as the development of scholarship in the fields of industrial history and the history of technology. My hope is that this research will help to inform archivists and historians in ensuring that adequate documentation is preserved about American industrial history.

Mpho Ngoepe

Prof Mpho Ngoepe is a senior lecturer in the Department of Information Science at the University of South Africa. Prior to his current position at Unisa, Prof Ngoepe has worked for the United Nations Children’s Fund, Auditor-General South Africa, Trans-Caledon tunnel Authority and the National Archives of South Africa (Cape Town and Pretoria). Prof Ngoepe obtained his PhD in Information Science from the University of South Africa in 2012. His doctoral research was a multi and interdisciplinary topic involving areas such as records management auditing, accounting, risk management and corporate governance. He is serving in the national committee of the South African Society of Archivists (2009-2015) and the board of Eastern and Southern Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (2009-2015) as the editor of the journals. He has published widely on archives and records management in peer reviewed journals, as well as three award winning anthologies of Northern Sotho short stories. He has also presented papers in a number of national and international conferences since 2004. His research interests include archives, auditing, records management, corporate governance, risk management, archival diplomatics, digital records forensic, marketing, public programming and informetrics. In 2005, he was awarded IVAISLP/SABINET information officer of the year. He was also recognised by the South African Human Rights Commission and Open Democracy Advice Centre in 2007 for the role he played in the implementation of the Promotion of Access to Information Act at the office of the Auditor-General South Africa. Prof Ngoepe is currently involved in three projects as the investigator at local level (Makgabeng career expo and heritage), national level (‘Taking archives to the people’ sponsored by the National Research Foundation in South Africa) and international level (InterPARES Trust).

Douglas Oard

Douglas Oard is a Professor at the University of Maryland, College Park, with joint appointments in the College of Information Studies (Maryland’s iSchool) and the University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS). Dr. Oard earned his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Maryland. His research interests center around the use of emerging technologies to support information seeking by end users. Additional information is available at http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~oard/.

Marianne Paasch 

I am a PhD fellow at Aalborg University in Aalborg, Denmark. I am part of a three year program (to be completed in September 2016) at The Institute of Culture and Global Studies where I am affiliated with The History Department. I am myself a Master of Arts in History from Aalborg University (2011) where I currently teach masters students (program of information management/archival science) and research my PhD project in digital archives in Denmark. I have previously worked at the Aalborg City Archives and with the local administration office in the City of Aalborg. This experience is the point of departure for my PhD research as I am studying the digital preservation processes in local archives. I am focusing on the creation of digital archives within the local administration and the collaboration between records creators and the archives. I am excited to be part of a small but growing academic field in archival science in Denmark and with my research I hope to add insight and new empirical studies to benefit both the academic field as well as archival practice. As well as looking at local and national practices and preservation strategies I am looking into international research and practice as well – hoping to contribute to the debate of how, why and for who we create archives in Denmark. 

Saara Packalén

Saara Packalén is a doctoral student with the School of Information Sciences (SIS) at the University of Tampere, in Finland. She is a member of the Memornet Doctoral Programme, in which she is a third-year student. Packalén became interested in records management during her master’s studies at the University of Tampere. Since receiving her M.Soc.Sc. degree in information studies, she has worked at the Tampere University Library and discovered her enthusiasm for teaching. From April 2012, she has been a full-time PhD student focusing on records management. Her central research interest is in functional approaches to records organization. In her doctoral thesis, she focuses on functional classification in Finnish public-sector organizations.

Weimei Pan

Weimei Pan is a doctoral student at the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC), Canada. She has a dual background of Chinese archival science and western archival science. Her research interests include the creation of records in the cloud environment, the archival concept of context, diplomatics in China, and the development of Chinese archival science. She also works a graduate research assistant for the Records in the Cloud and the International Research on Permanent Authentic Records in Electronic Systems (InterPARES) Trust projects.

Katie Pierce Meyer

I am a doctoral student in the School of Information at the University of Texas at Austin. Building collaborative relationships between archives and the architectural community is central to my research agenda. Through my work, I intend to contribute to an active discussion between professionals in libraries, archives and museums and the architectural community to create networks that can result in the sustainability of records that document the built environment. I bring my practice as an archivist and training as an architectural historian to my research focus on the socio-technical environment in which architectural records are created.

I received a BA in Philosophy from Southwestern University in 2002 and completed a MS in Information Studies at the School of Information at The University of Texas at Austin (UT) in 2007. After receiving my MA in Architectural History from the UT School of Architecture, I returned to the School of Information as an IMLS Doctoral Preservation Fellow.

Alex Poole

Alex H. Poole is a doctoral candidate at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a DigCCurr Fellow (2010–2013). He was graduated from the Loomis Chaffee School (cum laude), Williams College (BA, Highest Honors, History), Brown University (MA, History), and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (MS, Library Science, Beta Phi Mu). His interests center on digital curation, digital humanities, pedagogy, archival history, theory, and practice, and the history of print culture. His work has appeared in Digital Humanities Quarterly and American Archivist.

Waraporn Poolsatitiwat

I am a third year PhD student in archives and records management at University of Liverpool UK. My thesis is about curriculum development for archives and records management education in Thailand. I decided to investigate this area because after I complete my doctoral degree, I will be a faculty member with responsibility for developing a postgraduate program for training archivists in Thailand. I hope that the results from my thesis will assist me to create an appropriate model to prepare new Thai archivists who are able to develop archival work in Thailand to meet both international standards and Thailand’s national needs. As I was previously a university lecturer in management in Thailand for nearly ten years, I realise that most Thai students still lack significant working skills such as management skills, communication skills, and teamwork skills. In addition, they have not known how to apply theory into work practice. Since working as a professional archivist requires both archival knowledge and work competences, an academic program to train this kind of professional needs to contain both elements. However, creating a suitable curriculum to train Thai archivists is not an easy task since archival education in Thailand is underdeveloped and both academic and practitioners in the archival field are in short supply. As I was awarded a Thai government scholarship to study in this field, I am committed to trying to do as much as I can to create an efficient course to train Thai archivists to work professionally.

Ricardo L. Punzalan

Ricardo L. Punzalan is an assistant professor at the University of Maryland College of Information Studies, where he teaches courses on archives and digital curation. He holds a PhD in information from the University of Michigan School of Information. In addition to an MLIS from the University of the Philippines, he completed two certificates of graduate studies at Michigan, one in science, technology, and society (STS) and another in museum studies. Prior to his doctoral studies, he served in faculty of the University of the Philippines School of Library and Information Studies. His area of research includes understanding the relationship of archives and collective memory, the politics and dynamics of digitization decision-making in collaborative and inter-institutional settings, and the uses and users of digitized archival images. His current research examines “virtual reunification” as a strategy to provide integrated access to dispersed ethnographic archival images online. He is also developing ways to effectively document, evaluate, and articulate the impact and outcomes of digitized ethnographic archives. His articles have been published in the Library Quarterly, Archives and Manuscripts, Archivaria, and Archival Science.

Mario H. Ramirez

Mario H. Ramirez is a second year doctoral student in the Department of Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles where he is also pursuing a Certificate in Experimental Critical Theory. Previously, he worked as a Project Archivist at the Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College, CUNY (2003-2011) and the Bancroft Library at the University of California, Berkeley (2012-2013). He holds an M.S. in Library and Information Science, and Certificate in Archives and Records Management from Long Island University, C.W. Post, an M.A. in Rhetoric from the University of California, Berkeley, and a B.A. in American Studies from the Univeristy of California, Santa Cruz. His current research interests include the role of states of repression in the creation of documentary evidence, the archiving of human rights violations in Latin America, and the construction of memory and national identities in post-conflict societies and their Diasporas.

Gina Rappaport

Gina Rappaport is a doctoral student at the University of Maryland College of Information Studies. She is also the head archivist and archivist for photograph collections at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Anthropological Archives (NAA), a position she has held since 2009. In this position she is responsible for all aspects of the management of the NAA’s photograph collections, as well as general oversight of NAA operations and outreach.  Before joining the Smithsonian, Gina was a project archivist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Pribilof Project Office where she co-authored The Pribilof Islands, a Guide to Photographs and Illustrations, a publication on historical visual resources relating to Pribilof Islands History. Prior to this Gina established the Photograph Archives for Lassen Volcanic National Park through a joint project between the University of Washington Libraries Special Collections and the National Park Service.  She is a member of Northwest Archivists (NWA), Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC), the Society for American Archivists (SAA), and the American Anthropological Association (AAA). She currently serves on SAA’s Native American Archives Roundtable (NAAR) steering committee. Gina received her MA in History, Archives, and Records Management from Western Washington University.

Brian Real

Brian Real is a PhD Candidate in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland. His in-progress dissertation, entitled Preserving Cinema, Preserving America: Film Archives and the Policies of Identity, investigates the intersection of film preservation and public policy in the United States. At Maryland, Brian currently works as a graduate research associate with the Information Policy and Access Center (iPAC) and a PhD Candidate in the College of Information Studies. For film studies he has taught an undergraduate course that involved taking students to local cultural heritage institutions that held films and related paper holdings, as well as another course on Jim Henson and the Muppets.

Vanessa Reyes

Vanessa Reyes is a Doctoral Candidate at the School of Library and Information Science at Simmons College. She holds an M.S. in Library and Information Studies from Florida State University and a B.A. in English from Florida International University. While a student, she worked at public libraries, special collections and archives, and at the State Library and Archives of Florida in Tallahassee.

Her background inspired her to pursue research in preservation, digital libraries, and archives. She intends to work closely on research that analyzes personal digital collections, so as to understand how they are created, managed, and made accessible. She is also interested in how students and professors use personal digital information.

Lorraine Richards 

Lorraine L. Richards Bornn, Assistant Professor at the College of Computing and Informatics at Drexel University, performs research in the areas of digital curation and digital preservation. She is particularly interested in the impact of emerging technologies on theory and practice in archives and records management and in developing curation capabilities in non-curatorial organizations, especially within U.S. government. Her dissertation examined how cloud computing impacts the ability of state governments to satisfy their electronic recordkeeping requirements. Dr. Richards teaches in the areas of digital curation, digital preservation, electronic records management, and archives. She is also an instructor in the Digital Curation Professional Institute: Curation Practices for the Digital Object Lifecycle, hosted at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

She worked for the Blue Ribbon Task Force on the Sustainability of Digital Preservation and Access, coauthoring (under her former name “Eakin”) their interim report . She has developed cost models for libraries and digital repositories, and developed the cost-model for the Dryad scientific data repository  (Beagrie, Eakin-Richards, and Vision 2010). She also worked as an intern for the Council on Library Resources (CLIR), performing research activities for the Library of Congress. Richards Bornn was project manager of the IMLS-funded ESOPI-21 and ESOPI2 projects led by Drs. Helen Tibbo and Christopher A. Lee at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Robert Riter

I am an assistant professor in the School of Library and Information Studies at The University of Alabama. I coordinate the School’s archival studies program and am affiliated with the library and information studies and book arts programs.

My research is in archival history, which specific concerns with problems related to documentary reproduction, ethics, archival theory, and materiality. I currently work on topics related to the foundations of archival thought and practice, the history of American documentary editing, and the material history of records and archives. The overall objective of this work is to identify and evaluate the threads of archival thinking that continue to influence archival theory and practice, offering an archeology of archival thought, and a useful discussion of its influence on contemporary archival practices.

At The University of Alabama, I teach in archival studies, history of the book, information policy and ethics, and the organization and description of information. In my role as an archival educator, I believe that my most critical function is to assist students of archival studies in becoming critical readers of information objects. An archival object is made up of cultural, intellectual, and material substances, all of which influence how an object will be contained, maintained, and managed by the archivist. Through proper critical readings of archival objects, archivists can develop more effective methods for treating these works in their daily practice, and also obtain a better understanding of the consequences of their own archival interventions.

Heather Ryan

Heather Ryan is an Assistant Professor in University of Denver’s Library and Information Science Program. She oversees the program’s Archives and Special Collections focus, and is the faculty advisor for the Society of American Archivists University of Denver Student Chapter. She teaches Intro to Archives and Records Management; Advanced Archives; Digital Preservation; Building Digital Collections; and Foundations in Libraries, Archives, and Information Science. Additionally, she oversees the course-design and instruction of the Data Curation course, and various special topics courses in archives and records management. Her research interests are in digital preservation, data management, and archives. She received her PhD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2014.

Cecilia Salvatore

I had been special collections librarian and archivist on the U.S. territory of Guam. I studied archival enterprise under David Gracy at the University of Texas, although my dissertation, in the end, was on information-seeking behavior in the library. I taught library and archives courses at Emporia State University where I taught for 10 years. Now at Dominican University, I have developed courses in archives and cultural heritage resources and services that have contributed to a robust program at the University, particularly with the addition of new faculty. One of the courses I developed is a course simply titled, Cultural Heritage Resources and Services. Students have been fascinated by the many dimensions of “cultural heritage.” My personal research interest is in community archives, memory- and record-keeping in marginalized communities.

I look forward to interacting with other educators and future educators at AERI. I look forward to learning about their research. I also look forward to sharing my work and to telling the story of archives and cultural heritage from the perspective of one who grew up in a community that has had a strong, oral tradition and that has been ruled by outside entities for much of its history.

Pimphot Seelakate 

Pimphot Seelakate is a doctoral candidate at University College London(UCL). Her first engagement with records and archives was in 2007 – 2010 when she was undergraduate in Library Department, Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. The internships at the National Archives of Thailand, library and archive of Bank of Thailand, etc. deepened her interest in recordkeeping implementation. In 2010, she successfully applied for a scholarship from Thailand’s Office of Higher Education Commission to specialize in Information Studies at master’s and PhD level, both at UCL.

In 2011, doing master in Records and Archives Management Program (International) at UCL allowed her to enrich and broaden horizons beyond a single national view of the records and archives management issue and she completed a dissertation titled “Commentary on the Bill of National Archives Act of Thailand.”

In 2012, with university’s approach to academic research, she is currently doing research on “Standards and Standardization for Archival Practices in Thailand” focusing on how standards impact on quality of archival practices at the National Archives of Thailand. Besides ambition to become a good university lecturer in the future, she would very much like to play a role in the promotion of laws and standards by fostering a better understanding of records and archives in Thai community and exploring solutions to the challenges it faces.

Rebecka Sheffield

Rebecka Sheffield is a doctoral candidate at the iSchool at the University of Toronto, in collaboration with the Mark S. Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies. Her research focusses on queer archives and social movement theory. She holds a Masters degree in Information Studies (UofT) and an undergraduate degree in Women’s and Gender Studies/Sociology from the University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon). She also completed post-graduate studies in Book + Magazine Publishing at the Centre for Creative Communication.

Elizabeth Shepherd

Dr Elizabeth Shepherd is Professor of archives and records management at University College London, Department of Information Studies (DIS). She teaches on the Masters programme in Archives and Records Management at UCL and is currently Director of Research for DIS. Elizabeth’s research interests include the relationships between records management and information policy compliance (the subject of AHRC and ESRC-funded projects) and the development of the archive profession in England in the 20th century, which is the subject of her PhD and monograph ‘Archives and Archivists in 20th Century England’ (Ashgate, 2009). She has published numerous articles, and (with Geoffrey Yeo) the internationally best selling book ‘Managing Records: a handbook of principles and practice’ (Facet Publishing, 2003). Details at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/elizabethshepherd.

Zdenka Semlič Rajh

I graduated in History at the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts. I obtained Master’s degree (M.Phil.) in the field of Information and library science at the same faculty and I am just about to complete the Ph.D. from the same field. Since 1990, I work for the Regional Archives Maribor and I am involved in all aspects of records and archival management. In 1990 began my close involvement with the International Institute for Archival Science of Trieste and Maribor (IIAS) and the International Council on Archives. I am the IIAS Executive Board member. As a researcher in the field of archival science and records management, I am taking part in national and international research projects related to the archival professional standards, organization of information, users in archives and especially to the problems of the creation of headings, classifications and thesauri in archival institutions and retrieval of information. I am the editor of the publication ATLANTI, Review for Modern Archival Theory and Practice and member of editorial boards of other archival publications. In 2013, I became a lecturer for the field of Archives and Records Management at the University Alma Mater Europaea – European Centre Maribor. I am a Chair of the Working Group for Slovenian Archival Terminology and a member of the ICA Expert Group for Archival Buildings and Environment. In 2014 I was the recipient of »Glazerjeva Award«, the highest award given by the City of Maribor for outstanding achievements in the field of culture.

Heather Soyka

Heather Soyka is a doctoral candidate and teaching fellow in archival studies at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Library and Information Sciences. Her research interests include recordkeeping behavior, documentation of war and conflict, knowledge transfer, and community recordkeeping. She holds a master’s degree from the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at Simmons College with a concentration in archives and records management.

Tamara Štefanac

Tamara Štefanac earned a Masters‘ Degree in Art History and Comparative Literature and a Masters’ Degree in Archivistics at the University of Zagreb (Croatia). Currently she is a postgraduate candidate at the University of Zadar (Croatia) in the field of Archival Science. Tamara is employed as Director of Croatian Railway Museum. Her professional development began, however, while she was working as a museum archivist at this museum and started questioning the relationships between information and archival theory and their application in daily practice.

Jennifer Stevenson

Jenny Stevenson is a third year doctoral student at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Jenny has a MLIS and concentration in Archival Studies and Certificate of Advanced Study in Digital Libraries from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She is currently working on her dissertation proposal. Her research interests are vested in the field of archival studies. Specifically, digital archives, new and social media, and user studies and archival software development. She has conducted research using social network analysis to learn more about how archive institutions and archivists use social media. Professionally, Jenny has been working in the world of digital archives. Over the past several years, she has worked at several institutions as a digital archivist consultant. In addition to being a PhD student, she is also currently working as a digital archivist at the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and the University of Wisconsin-Extension.

Edward Summers

I am a new PhD student at the University of Maryland. My research focus is on web archives and the archival qualities of web architecture. After receiving my MLS in 1996 I’ve been working as a software developer in startups, universities and government. I’m currently working at the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities. When it comes to learning and teaching I am, at heart, a pragmatist. I’ve found that the best ways I learn and teach are by doing, reflecting on the doing, and doing more.

Tonia Sutherland

Tonia Sutherland holds a doctorate  from the University of Pittsburgh’s iSchool. Currently, she is the Lead Researcher for the Collaborative for Historical Information and Analysis in the World History Center at the University of Pittsburgh. Global in scope and comparative in nature, Tonia’s research and teaching interests include information stewardship, policy and  ethics; theories and cultures of collaboration;  critical information studies; community and cultural informatics; and the digital humanities.

Biyong Tan

Biyong Tan is an associate professor in the Department of Archival Studies, School of History and Culture, Shandong University. He holds a doctorate in Archival Studies from the School of Information Management, Wuhan University. His research interests include Archival education and professional responsibility, Community archives and Cultural Identity, digital preservation of intangible cultural heritage. He has finished two research projects sponsored by Shandong Postdoctoral Science Foundation and Humanities and Social Science Foundation of Ministry of Education of China. Currently he is the principle investigator (2013-2016) sponsored by National Social Science Foundation of China: The Comparative Study of Public Archives Growth Path between China and Western Countries: Theory, Practice and Solution. With the annual fund from China Scholarship Council, he took up a visiting scholar position in the Department of Information Studies at the University of California Los Angeles from August 2013 to January 2015. He is also the general editor of the Electronic Journal of Foreign Archives that established in July 2013 by the Henan Provincial Archives of China.

Narissa Timberry

I am an Aboriginal woman from the New South Wales South Coast, Australia. With a Bachelor of Education my early career was in education. In 2005 I started my new career choice by undertaking a Masters of Information Management and Systems, which I completed in 2009.

I commenced part time work as a Document Officer for the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) Audiovisual Archive. In this role I digitized paper records, auditioned sound recordings and compiled finding aids. I then worked in the Access unit where I facilitated access to the collections. My last role at AIATSIS was in the Library as Archivists/Manuscripts Officer, where I worked with the manuscript collection.

Working with these collections inspired me to make the move to research. I commenced my PhD ‘Beyond Animation: 3D Models and an Indigenous Community Archive’ in August 2013 at Monash University. My research will provide me with further opportunities to work with Indigenous communities. My ambition is to produce a body of work that will be of use for Indigenous communities who are trying to preserve material on Country.

Ciaran Trace

Ciaran B. Trace is an assistant professor at the School of Information at The University of Texas at Austin where she teaches courses on archives and records management. Ciaran has a PhD in Library and Information Science from the University of California, Los Angeles and a postgraduate Diploma in Archival Studies from University College Dublin. Her research interests include:

• The material aspects of everyday life (particular focus on studying how and why individuals and institutions collect material culture, the intersection of material culture and information behavior, and digital materiality including the study of the artifactual nature of computers, computer systems, and digital objects)
  • Theoretical and conceptual foundations of a multidisciplinary area of research that studies the nature of everyday documents and document work
  • Nature, meaning, and function of everyday writing, recording, and recordkeeping (particular focus on organizational document creation and use, and the role of written literacies in the lives of children and young adults)
  • History and practice of archives and the archival profession (particular focus on the study of historical and contemporary archival work and work practices and the intersection of archival science and Human Computer Interaction)
Vladan Vukliš 

I was born in Banjaluka (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Yugoslavia) in 1984. I live in the same city. I studied history at the Department of History at the Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Banjaluka from 2003 to 2009. I attended post-graduate school at the same department from 2009 to 2013. I acquired a magistrate degree in history (magistar istorijskih nauka, mr sc.) after successfully defending a magistrate thesis on January 24th 2013, under the mentorship of professor Milan Ristović (University of Belgrade). The thesis was published as a monograph in 2013. I started doctoral studies at the Department of History at the Faculty of Philosophy in Banjaluka in 2013, under the same mentor. The thesis is titled, in translation, »Yugoslavs, the Spanish Civil War and the War Émigrés«. It’s currently in its research phase. I’m working as an archivist in the Archives of Republic of Srpska since January 2013.

My interests, next to the topic of my dissertation, are connected to the research of social history of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Yugoslavia in the 20th century, with the focus on labor history, class dynamics, the position of the working class as well as on the theory and practice of self-management in Socialist Yugoslavia. My archival work is dedicated to furthering and helping the study of social history.

Eliot Wilczek

Eliot Wilczek is a doctoral student in the School of Library and Information Science at Simmons College and serves as the University Records Manager in the Digital Collections and Archives at Tufts University. He holds an MS in library and information science with an archives concentration and an MA in history–both from Simmons College. He served as an adjunct instructor at Simmons GSLIS from 2005 through 2010, teaching archives and records management courses.

His research interests center on recordkeeping behavior, records management, and archival appraisal. His dissertation explores the relationship between how organizations understand and document wicked problems through an examination of US advisor province reports written during the Vietnam War.

Stacy Wood 

I am a current PhD student in Information Studies at UCLA. I hold an MLIS iwith a specialization in archives from UCLA and a BA in Literature and Gender Studies from Pitzer College. My current research focuses on the historical, legal and theoretical foundations of classified information as well as its material practices and artifactual features. I am also interested in information cultures within intelligence agencies and government bodies as well as archival, cultural and technical responses to innovation. I am currently a lead editor for InterActions, the UCLA Journal for Education and Information Studies and have worked in community, cultural and corporate archives in Southern California since 2010. Please email me at stacyewood@gmail.com.

Elizabeth Yakel

Elizabeth Yakel, Ph.D. is Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Affairs at the University of Michigan School of Information where she teaches in the Archives and Records Management and Digital Preservation areas. Her research interests include access to digital archives and reuse or research data. In her research, she has pioneered the development of standardized metrics to enhance repository processes and measure the impact of archival collections. Dr. Yakel recently ended a research project entitled “Dissemination Information Packages for Information Reuse” (http://dipir.org) (funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS)) which focused on research data reuse and digital preservation in three academic communities: quantitative social scientists, archaeologists, and zoologists. The goal of this research was to identify the significant properties that support preservation of the bits as well as the meaning of digital data over time. She is now embarking on another IMLS-funded project: “Qualitative Data Reuse: Records of Practice in Educational Research and Teacher Development,” which examines the varied uses of educational records of practice, particularly digital video of classroom activities. Dr. Yakel is active in the Society of American Archivists (SAA) where she served on the governing council and was elected a Fellow in 1999.

Shigekazu Yanagimachi

I am in the first year of my PhD at the Kyushu University Graduate School of Integrated Frontier Sciences, Department of Library Science. Kyushu University is one of the nine former Imperial Universities, thus one of the oldest Japanese National Universities. However our programme is very new; PhD programme in Library Science (which includes not only Library and Information Studies but also Archival Studies) was created only in 2013.

I’ve completed the programme in Archival studies at the Vatican Secret Archives’ school with the diploma signed by Archivist-Librarian of the Holy Roman Church as well as Prefect of the Vatican Secret Archives.

Before turning myself to the Archival studies, I had studied Canadian philosophy, especially Bernard Lonergan’s thoughts while working as secretary at the Music school in Montreal, founded by immigrants from ex-communist countries.

Back to my homeland, I have undertaken a study of Japanese-Chinese paleography-diplomatics-archivistics in the ancient capital, Kyoto, while continuing to analyze the Vatican Secret Archives’ documents, hoping, someday, peoples of all nations understand one another, enjoy peace inside and outside.

I love to read traditional pedagogical materials of the West and the East.

(European Ars dictaminis and Japanese Ourai-mono, etc.) I also enjoy reading the classical medical texts of Japan and China.

I would love to teach Japanese diplomatics in Europe or America to deepen the mutual understandings between Japan and the West.

I have been working on my PhD project; a comparative study of archivistics.

Bin Zhang

Bin Zhang, Ph.D in management, is professor and Dean of School of Information Resource Management in Renmin University. He is also Director of CIO Research Center at Renmin University. The other positions he hold are the associate chairman of China Chief Information Officer Union, a special hired expert in Human Resources Department of CCTV (China Central Television), and a specialist both in China Knowledge Management Center and China Knowledge Management Network Center. He used to be a senior visiting scholar in the Department of Information studies at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and a member of editor committee for International Journal of Knowledge Management. His research interests cover Information Management, Knowledge Management, CIO System Design and Enterprise Records and Archives Management, etc. Professor Zhang won various distinguish awards including the New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET) of Ministry of Education, Teaching Award Winner of Baogang Education Funding, the National Excellent Course Award, the Advanced Individual of Teacher’s Virtue of Beijing Award and China Knowledge Management Celebrities Award in 2007. In addition, he was in charge of and has received major grants from the majority of the National Social Science Foundations, the National Natural Science Foundations and provincial and ministerial research projects. Until now, he wrote four academic books, edited two textbooks and published more than 50 academic papers.

Jane Zhang

Jane Zhang is an assistant professor at the Department of Library and Information Science, the Catholic University of America. She holds a PhD in Library and Information Studies with archival concentration from Simmons College, and a joint Master of Archival Studies and Library and Information Studies from the University of British Columbia. Her teaching and research areas cover records and recordkeeping, archival theory and practice, electronic records and digital archives, and theory and application of information organization and representation. Before joining the faculty at the Catholic University, Jane worked at the Harvard University Archives and the University of Calgary Archives. She has published research papers in Journal of Archival Organization, Archivaria, Knowledge Organization, American Archivist, Information and Culture, and Records Management Journal.

Ning Zhang

Dr. Ning Zhang is an associate professor in School of Information Resource Management, Renmin University of China, also the member of steering committee of SAE of ICA. She received her PhD of Management in 2005 and from September 2003 to May 2005 she studied in Koblenz-Landau University in Germany with German DAAD scholarship (Sino-German joint training program of PhD). She specializes and gives the courses in archival science, enterprise archives management, electronic records management and information analysis. Until now, Dr. Zhang has published one monograph and over twenty academic papers. She has also chaired four national-level research projects, two university-level research projects and participated in more than ten other research projects.

Wenhong Zhou

Wenhong Zhou is pursuing PHD degree in archival science in Renmin University, who is also a full- year visiting international research student at School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, University of British Columbia. He is researching into the construction of archival theory and methodology in the environment of Web 2.0. Thus, He is directing the project Theoretical and Methodological Framework of Records and Archives Management in the Environment of Web 2.0 supported by Renmin University. Also, He directed the project the Strategy for Optimization of Internet Information Resource Consumption in China. He participates in major project supported by National Social Science Foundation and National Natural Science Foundation of China led by leading researchers in China, like Novel Mechanisms for the Integration of National Digital Archival Resources for Their Optimal Utilization led by Xiaomi An and Research on Policy and Management of Information Resource Industry of China led by Huiling Feng. Also, he took part in project The Wisdom of Ancient Chinese Archival Building: Inspiration to Modern Green Archives led by Jian Wang and supported by ICA PCOM. Until now, he has published 8 articles on records and information. AS representative of leading student researcher, he made presentation of Envisioning Participatory Archives Management in National forum of PhD students of library, information and archives study at Wuhan in China in 2013.